[ietf-nntp] Current status

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue May 18 12:22:28 PDT 2004

Russ Allbery said:
>>> The IESG last call on the base document returned almost entirely
>>> favorable responses except for one question about why we didn't
>>> document a secure authentication protocol, particularly given our notes
>>> in Security Considerations.  There has been subsequent discussion of
>>> that at the IESG level, and the person raising those objections is
>>> currently on vacation (until next week, as I recall), so it's not clear
>>> yet whether that will require any further action on our part.
>> Any update on this?
> Not that I've seen yet.

In the absence of anything, I've gone ahead with the work to split the
document into two: base and extensions. The latter only contains the three
extensions that were in draft 22, but I can easily roll in TLS and
AUTHINFO.

I don't want to put in loads of work with a split development path, so can
we [*] please decide whether we're going to push for adoption of draft 22
without secure authentication, or whether we're going to step back and
reorganise the document in the way we previously discussed.

Anyone who wants to see the new documents can do so at:

<http://www.davros.org/nntp-texts/split.base23.pre-0.txt>
<http://www.davros.org/nntp-texts/split.base23.pre-0.html>
<http://www.davros.org/nntp-texts/split.ext00.pre-0.txt>
<http://www.davros.org/nntp-texts/split.ext00.pre-0.html>

[*] If you want to make this decision unilaterally as chair, I have no
objection.