[ietf-nntp] Need to start (and finish!) the SASL draft

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 15 11:43:18 PDT 2004

Hello folks,

The feedback we've received from the IESG review of the base document
indicates that we have to say something about authentication for them to
be comfortable publishing it as a standards-track document.  The only
thing currently available for authentication is RFC 2980, which is both
informational and clearly not adequate.

After talking with our AD, it looks like the best way to move forward is
to make the SASL draft a very high priority and get it released into last
call, at which point the base draft can refer to it and they can be
published together.

Jeff, as I recall, you had a draft basically ready for publication as an
I-D, but we hadn't actually published it.  Could you get that submitted as
an I-D to serve as a starting point, with whatever changes it had
accumulated from the initial draft?

BTW, see:

    <https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi>

to get status on our drafts.  (Put nntpext into the WG Acronym field.)