ietf-nntp Re: Last major open issue (48x return codes)

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Mon Sep 15 09:21:24 PDT 2003

In <3F5DEB88.5020007 at oceana.com> Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:

>I could live with this, but do existing clients do anything useful with
>the text following a 4xx response code?  This would be the first failure
>code to include formmatted data, correct?

I think texts following unexpected response codes are for humans. The
human can then go tell him implementor to implement the new feature, or he
can reconfigure his reader to use it, or whatever.

Generally speaking, texts following unexpected / not-understood responses
should be made available to a human. Perhaps we should say this somewhere.

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.