ietf-nntp Raw 8bit in subject header

minibbjd at gmx.de minibbjd at gmx.de
Sat Mar 22 13:48:47 PST 2003

Hi,

this is my first post on this list, so please let me know if this is
off-topic here.

I didn't find anything in the current draft about this, at least
nothing exact, so could anyone let me know if usefor allows or
tolerates the use of raw 8 bit in the subject header under special
circumstances.

Should a follow-up agent try to fix the encoding of a message that
uses raw 8-bit or should it keep the subject as it is.
Posting raw 8-bit seems technically wrong, but seems to be the
correct thing to ensure that all clients can thread the message
correctly. While the references header shows the link, the changed
subject makes some clients think that this should be displayed as a
new thread.

Apart from posting raw 8 bit or not, my understanding is that it's
generally not a good idea to change the subject header, e.g. to
change the charset used for inline encoding.

My current approach is to never change the subject line, even if it
uses raw 8 bit or has an invalid encoding.

Any "official" advise that usefor gives on this?

Thanks,
Marcus