ietf-nntp Discussion of draft-dfncis-netnews-admin-sys-04.txt

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Tue Jun 4 11:46:45 PDT 2002

In <20020603125017.GA258721 at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE> Robert Schuettler <rober at cis.fu-berlin.de> writes:

>The term "wildmat" is used on page 19 in the context of the LSTR
>command. There is no explicit specification within the NAS draft but a
>note that the term is used according to "wildmat(3) from libinn". If an
>explicit definition is really necessary and wanted within the NAS
>document, we could probably borrow it from section 5 of
>draft-ietf-nntpext-base-15.txt.

That text is very long and tedious (and still possibly not final). It
would be safer to wait till the NNTP Ext draft is accepted and then refer
to the RFC.

In any case, you still have not addressed the question of why your
approach is the proper one to follow in the first place, as against, for
example using the DNS mechanism to distribute this information (as a group
in Spain are already doing), or else using the existing Netnews structure
to distribute the information. Anything invplving a brand new protocol and
a brand new port number needs some justification.

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.