ietf-nntp HDR

Andrew Gierth andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 3 18:24:44 PST 2002

 > [Clive D W Feather]
 >>> Yes. I support the suggestion of ":Lines" and ":Bytes".

 > [Russ Allbery]
 >> I don't, at least yet.  I think that syntax is bizarre and completely
 >> unintuitive.  It feels very ill-thought-through to me.

 greg> I would rather see these things that aren't really headers put
 greg> into a separate verb (ARTINFO or something like that).

The motivation for distinguishing them in the parameter rather than the
command itself came from the discussion on n.s.nntp a while back about
the possibility of a "HEADERS" command (extension) as a more flexible
version of OVER.

(i.e. a client could do
HEADERS 1234-1250 From,Subject,Message-ID,References,:Bytes,Content-Type
and get back an overview-type response with the specified fields. This
could also be generalised to "NEWHEADERS" (like NEWNEWS).)

--
Andrew.