ietf-nntp MODE READER

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Wed Mar 7 01:08:50 PST 2001

Having said that I'm happy with MODE READER, someone has emailed me
privately and pointed out an ambiguity.

>   The server MUST present a response using the same codes as the
>   initial greeting (as described in section 7.1) to indicate its
>   ability to provide reading service to the client.

could be read (despite 7.2.2) as meaning that exactly the same code must be
given as was given to the initial connection. Here's alternative words that
would fix that:

    The response uses the same codes, with the same meanings, as the
    initial connection (described in section 7.1). However, the server
    MAY give a different response to that of the initial connection
    (for example, if posting is only permitted via IHAVE, the initial
    connection might respond 200 but this command would respond 201).

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 1037