ietf-nntp DEBUG command (9xx)

Lee Kindness lkindness at csl.co.uk
Fri Jul 28 06:24:58 PDT 2000

Stan O. Barber writes:
 > [The DEBUG command was intended to clarify RFC977, which is part of
 > the charter. We can dispose of this command, but if we do, then we
 > are left with the lack of clarity on what happens when a client
 > sees an X9X response during a session.]

Given that 'common practice' is being documented and no servers (that
I know of) have a DEBUG command, or return x9x status codes then I
fail to see the problem with dropping the x9x code documentation.

Even if a server did output x9x codes - surely they are for LOCAL use
and should not be enabled in a deployed server.