ietf-nntp new draft of base document available
Clive D.W. Feather
clive at demon.net
Tue Jul 25 06:12:02 PDT 2000
Stan O. Barber said:
>> > 9.2.1 ARTICLE
>> This and the next three commands are *very* similar, and the reader will
>> have difficulty in determining the differences between them. I would
>> suggest that almost all the text is moved into 9.2.
>> You didn't do it. Why not ?
> I didn't do it because I didn't agree with you.
Why not ? What differences are there between the two commands, apart from
the obvious ones of the success response code and how much text is
By doing some editing and diffing, I find that a lot of the differences are
due to re-justification because of one of the purposeful differences. But,
apart from that:
* ARTICLE has a spelling and grammar mistake that HEAD corrects; BODY has
a different grammar mistake.
* ARTICLE has a message-ID in the response, while HEAD "returns" it.
* HEAD doesn't explain "n" and "<a>" in the response.
* ARTICLE has a silly error in an example which HEAD does not.
* ARTICLE and HEAD require you to specify the article number as the
argument, while BODY just requires you to specify it.
and so on. I can see no reason for this quadruplication and consequential
So, why are you against my proposal ?
Clive D.W. Feather | Work: <clive at demon.net> | Tel: +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert | Home: <clive at davros.org> | Fax: +44 20 8371 1037
Demon Internet | WWW: http://www.davros.org | DFax: +44 20 8371 4037
Thus plc | | Mobile: +44 7973 377646
More information about the ietf-nntp