ietf-nntp "Common NNTP Extensions" document updated

Vincent Archer Vincent.Archer at hsc.fr
Mon Dec 1 06:02:08 PST 1997

On Mon, Dec 01, 1997 at 01:30:53PM +0000, Jon Ribbens wrote:
> So you said it was alright to suddenly remove one of the core NNTP commands.

Some of us did.

> Why on earth do people want to do this anyway? It's an excellent way of
> doing a pull-feed. Just because INN is broken doesn't mean that the spec
> should be broken too.

Because obviously a lot of people disagree. As I said earlier, I prefer a
RFC that reflects what is going on rather than one that insists on a vision
of what the world *should* be when it's obvious that it is not what it
*will* be.

We do not want to remove NEWNEWS. Just to have the RFC not to mandate it
for compliance, because then many NNTP sites will not be RFC-compliant, and
once you've started down this road... why stop at one non-compliance?

--
Vincent ARCHER  -=-=-  Herve Schauer Consultants -=-=-   archer at hsc.fr
Tel: +33 1 41 40 97 00                          Fax: +33 1 41 40 97 09