ietf-nntp 7-bit restriction in command arguments

David Johnson (Exchange) djohnson at Exchange.Microsoft.com
Wed Oct 9 14:33:25 PDT 1996

>From draft-barber-nntp-news-00.txt:
               Commands in the NNTP MUST consist of a case-insensitive
               keyword, which MAY be followed by one or more arguments.
               All commands MUST be terminated by a CRLF pair. Multiple
               commands MUST not be permitted on the same line.
Keywords
               and arguments MUST consist of printable ASCII
characters.

I know this restriction exists in RFC-977, but is it really necessary
to continue limiting command arguments to ascii characters? It makes
handling non-ascii character sets more difficult. The restriction in
IMAP seems much more reasonable, where unencoded binary strings with
NUL or excessive control characters must be encoded, but otherwise
8-bit data is allowed.

I also think this draft should specify how binary arguments are to be
encoded (i.e., use a MIME content transfer encoding), to avoid a
proliferation of different encodings as people define new extensions.

- David