XBATCH Command (Was: Re: New NNTP extensions in INN 1.5?)

Ben Polk bpolk at netscape.com
Mon Jul 15 14:57:36 PDT 1996

At 04:21 PM 7/15/96 CDT, Stan Barber wrote:
>The charter we discussed at the BOF is the following:
>
>    1.Revise and publish a standards-track successor to RFC 977 [snip]
>    2.Include in the same document some reasonable group of existing commonly
>      used extensions forming a new base functionality for NNTP
>    3.Upon completion of the RFC977 successor document and with the approval
>      of the Applications Area Directorate, select a new standards-track
>      extension for NNTP and test the newly established mechanism for
>      adding extensions.
>
>Unlike the previous WG, this will not invent technology [snip]
>
>The Appliacation ADs wanted a set of attainable goals that could be achived
>in a 9 - 16 month timeframe. [snip]

The BATCH command would be a good candidate for exercising the new extension
mechanism.  I agree with Stan that it doesn't belong in the new document
because it is not in current practice.

The people at the BOF agreed that the new RFC should have the limited
scope described above.  And that new stuff should be implemented through
the extension mechanism and standardized separately from the base document.
This sounds good to me.  We have consensus on this, right?