ietf-nntp BCP for RFC977 server/RFC1036 interaction

Evan Champion evanc at synapse.net
Wed Dec 18 21:00:39 PST 1996

On Thu, 19 Dec 1996, Brian Kantor wrote:

> NNTP-Posting-Host is specifically to be set by the SERVER.  No client
> should attempt to set it; whether you flag that as an error or simply
> replace it depends on how you feel about people attempting to forge
> news into your system.  (That's why I put it into NNTP in the first
> place!)  Personally, I find rejecting the posting to be more satisfying.

Yes, I thought of that, but then I thought it might be even more
satisfying if I caught the user doing something he shouldn't be.  I can't
yell at him if the post was rejected by the server... :-)

Evan
--
Evan Champion            * Director, Network Operations
mailto:evanc at synapse.net * Directeur, Exploitation du reseau